Friday, May 23, 2014

Takayasu (Kyoto, Sakyō-ku)

高安
たかやす

Suji ramen: 17 / 20

This elegant (and very popular, expect to queue) restaurant is located in the Ichijoji area, Kyoto’s ramen holy land - a bit far up north, but worth the trip for any true ramen-lover. I had tried four years ago their regular chuka-soba, but it didn’t gave me any lasting impression (I’m not so much into Kyoto-style kotteri ramen). So four years later, I tried their suji ramen.


Broth: A very good tonkotsu / torigara (pork / chicken bones) broth in which the tonkotsu predominates, sprinkled with sesame seeds. The end result was not too kotteri. Too fat and salty to finish it, though.

Noodles: Very Kyoto-style: not so thin, and not so firm. They were OK though, despite my devotion to barikata (or at least katame) noodles.

Meat: Many tasty suji (tendons) pieces in the broth.

Toppings: Some tender and fibrous good menma. Some round negi. You can also help yourself of some tasty spicy leaf vegetables on the table.

I guess I would have appreciated this ramen even more if I hadn’t eaten a tsukemen at Sugari 3 hours earlier, both because Sugari is one of the most fantastic ramen restaurants in Japan, and because I was quite full after it. But I don’t go to Kyoto every day, so I had to make the most of my trip there! Anyway, this was a very good ramen. The place is also quite atmospheric, with its hip neo-70s interior design and its counter running along the walls. Very much recommended. I should come back to try again their regular chuka soba and check whether it has the same broth, in which case I can conclude that my taste has evolved in four years.

More information on ramendb.

Other review: Ramen adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment