Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Kukan (Narara-ken, Nara-shi)

麺屋空間
めんやくうかん
Menya Kuukan

Lemon (shio) ramen: 15 / 20

It is difficult to screen good ramen restaurants in Nara prefecture, as few of them got many reviews on ramendb. There was however this place, Mitsuba, that stood up and was conveniently located near Tomio station, on the Kintetsu line from Osaka to Nara. Unfortunately, when I arrived there, it was already close (and as I would find out a couple of months later, the soup is usually already finished by 11:30 on week-ends! yes, you read right, 11:30) There were some other good options, but they were either already closed for lunch or offered only jiro style (and my stomach was begging me not to order a jiro), so I turned to the unkown at Kukan. Good surprise: on the second floor, it happened to be a very pleasant, spacious restaurant, with the atmosphere of an American diner, decorated with some comics figurine. They offer quite a diversity of dishes, and I was very tempted by their mazemen, but then I noticed they had a shio lemon ramen. What, lemon ramen?! I’ve never tried that, I have to!


Broth: As the name says, this is a shio ramen (made from torigara) flavored with lemon – a definitely interesting and refreshing twist. You even get a few slices of lemon in your broth that you can press for more zing, but I do not recommend doing so - the broth tastes enough lemony like that and it would become overpowering. A little bit too salty though.

Meat: Two slices of a firm, delicious chashu, with just the right amount of melting fat.

Toppings: Some long white negi and microgreens.

This simple but good lemon ramen was an excellent surprise; I definitely recommend this convivial place, especially if you are with friends.

More info on ramendb.

No comments:

Post a Comment