Thursday, May 7, 2015

Kogaryu Seimen (Kobe-shi, Nada-ku)

弘雅流製麺
こうがりゅうせいめん
Kougaryuu Seimen

Shoyu ramen: 13 / 20 
(醤油らーめん)

Shio ramen: 15 / 20
(塩らーめん)

I had been to this shop six months ago to try their torigara tsukemen, and had been a bit disappointed - I was expecting something great, and it was just kind of good. But this shop’s specialty is their shoyu ramen, so I decided to give it one more chance. On the way back from Himeji to Osaka, I stopped there with my mother. She had the shio ramen, and I had the shoyu. Let’s start with the latter.


Broth: An original taste, difficult to characterize - it was a bit roasty, and had some notes that reminded me a bit of French ‘pot-au-feu’. Probably not my favorite kind of broth, but definitely unique.

Noodles: OK

Meat: A quite firm chashu, with some lean parts and fat parts, separated from each other. The fat was too fat, and the lean was pleasant but not so special.

Toppings: You get some long threads of negi, some thin slabs of mild, slightly fibrous, crunchy menma (a bit too hard at places, actually).

It was a very decent ramen, but again, in my opinion not in line with its very high rankings - I’m quite puzzled here about what people find so exceptional in it.


However, the shio ramen had a very good fishy taste and velvety feel - I found it much more enjoyable than the shoyu.

More info on ramendb.

Other review: Philoramen (for the torigara tsukemen)

No comments:

Post a Comment