Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Dogyan (Osaka-shi, Chuo-ku)

宮崎郷土料理 どぎゃん
みやざききょうどりょうり どぎゃん
Myyazaki Kyoudo Ryouri Dogyan

Ten Chuka Black: 14 / 20
(天中華ブラック)

As I was coming close to this restaurant, attracted by their mazemen, something rang a bell... I had already been there! But it was before I started this blog, so that was a good reason to come back. The restaurant was full and I had to wait ten minutes in the cold, but the waiters brought to me some tea and put some heating outside – really, such things happen only in Japan! Finally, I could seat and order my mazem... nope, no mazemen left. Well, I guess I'll have their shoyu ramen again, then - could be worse, after all, it is the specialty of the shop, and one of the rare instance of Takaida-kei, this very local Osaka style.


Broth: That’s some intense shoyu! I had forgotten it was so strong. It was fatter than the ones I’ve tried in Kinguemon and Maru Joe – oscillating between the velvety (which is good) and the overfat (which is, well, not so good).

Noodles: Some quite thick, yellow noodles with a pleasant texture. Interesting. Curiously, they were kind of hard to slurp, and more than once I had to cut them with my teeth – heresy!

Meat: Definitely the letdown of this bowl: two slices of a very, very average chashu, with a hardened fatty part, and that looked overall quite cheap. Seriously, Dogyan-mastercook, if you would remove this meat, your bowl would turn WAY better.

Toppings: Many mild menma – some soft, some hard, and overall quite anonymous. Some green negi, which I thought fit well with the soup.

Overall, that’s a good ramen that suffers from a very suboptimal meat and a slightly too high degree of fatness. But that's one of the good places to discover this interesting style of Takaida-kei (although I would rather recommend you to try Kinguemon first). Apparently, the strongness of the soy sauce taste is due to the use of shoyu for sashimi, which is thicker than the one you normallly use in cooking. Note also that it is actually a real restaurant with a pleasant atmosphere - you know, one of those weird places where people can order a variety of seemingly edible things that are not wheat noodles in hot, salty liquid; you might want to give this strange stuff a try, some day.

More info on ramendb.

Other review: Friends in Ramen.

No comments:

Post a Comment