Sunday, May 24, 2015

Bakkoshi (Osaka-shi, Yodogawa-ku)

ばっこ志
ばっこし
Bakkoshi

Kokuyu ramen: 16 / 20
(黒油ら~めん)

Surprisingly for someone who lost his ramen-virginity at Ippudo (if one forgets a couple of poor, former canteen ramen experiences before - but you know, those are the ones that don't count), I have not reviewed so many tonkotsu ramen on this blog. One of the reasons is that my consumption of ramen being relatively high, I often turn my choice towards lighter and less unhealthy ones. But after my excellent experience at Amanojaku, I had to explore a bit more the tonkotsu landscape in Kansai. This brought me to this ramen shop just next to Juso station, in which you can order the regular tonkotsu ramen as it is, or in a ‘black’ version. That’s the one I chose.


Broth: You know the mayu, this black roasted garlic sauce that is sometimes sprinkled onto tonkotsu broth – most famously, at Ippudo? Well, they go here well over the top with that black wonder, fully covering the bowl with it. The whole thing is surprisingly sweet and pleasantly smooth. The mayu is a bit too fat to my taste though - especially towards the end, when so much of it remains that it becomes quite undrinkable. Interesting mix of strength and softness.

Noodles: Thin and straight: those are Kyushu noodles, no doubt about it. They could be a little bit more katame though.

Meat: Two thin slices of chashu. The first one was perfect, with just enough of melting fat, but the second was way too fat.

Toppings: Some kikurage, negi, and a sheet of nori – which, I think, does not fit that well with tonkotsu broth. There are also a few dried garlic flakes


This bowl was very good, but lacked a little bit of calibration – with a less fat chashu and mayu, it could climb to 17 or even 18.

Other reviews at ramendb.

No comments:

Post a Comment