Monday, July 7, 2014

Atago (Tokyo, Minato-ku)

京鰹節つけ麺 愛宕 ATAGO
きょうかつおぶしつけめん あたご

Shoyu ramen, yuzu taste: 14 / 20

In the evening, I continued my exploration of Shimbashi ramen scene with my German friend. Atago is an atmospheric restaurant with a very black interior. I ordered the Yuzu shoyu ramen, and my friend the Yuzu tonkotsu gyokai ramen.
 

Broth: I’m not a big fan of shoyu broth, but with that light yuzu taste, it was quite enjoyable.

Noodles: Whole grain noodles, quite thin, which could be a bit firmer.

Meat: A couple of small slices of tender, slightly fat chashu.

Egg: Well cooked ajitama with gooey yolk; not perfect (some small parts were hard), but very honorable. Apparently, this is a special 'goma tamago' (see the "other reviews" below), but I did not see any difference with a regular one.

Toppings: Thick menma, negi, and nori.

So this was a pleasant-if-not-so-remarkable ramen. The yuzu tonkotsu gyokai my friend ordered had thicker noodles (also whole grain), and the yuzu taste was kind of masked by the strong broth flavors.

More info on ramendb.

Other reviews: Ramen Adventures, Ramen Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment