Friday, December 5, 2014

Hanada (Tōkyō-to, Toshima-ku)

麺処 花田めんどころ はなだ
めんどころ はなだ
Mendokoro Hanada

Miso ramen (yasai-mashi, ninniku): 14 / 20
(ラーメン, 野菜増量・生ニンニク)

Arriving at Ikebukuro in Tokyo with the night bus from Osaka, this was a perfect opportunity to continue my discovery of the ramen of the area, after last time's visits to King Kong and Tokyo Underground Ramen Ganja. After a couple of hours working from a Starbucks, I arrived at 10:50 in front of Hanada, a well-ranked ramen joint in the area which specializes in miso ramen. Don't mistake Hanada with Hanada tonari, the sister shop, as I first did! The latter specializes in abura soba and mazemen, and it's not sure that they are as much recommendable. Once in the shop, I ordered the miso ramen, yasai-mashi (added vegetables), ninniku-mashi (added garlic). While I was waiting, I could watch the impressive show of the cook frying the bean sprouts in large flames. Finally, my bowl arrived, with a small portion of rice (which I had explicitly said I did not want - I guess I have to work more on my nihon-go).


Broth: A very creamy miso that feels more like a sauce than like a soup. With the added garlic, it was excellent. In particular, it did not have this strong after-taste that many miso broth have too often (in a first place, the renown Kururi).

Noodles: Relatively thick and yellow for ramen-noodles, they were not as curly as the ones you would find in a classical Hokkaido-style miso ramen. Not so firm, but OK.

Meat: A slice of chashu, crumbly at places and firm at others, with a more meaty taste than most chashu.

Toppings: A lot of stir-fried bean sprouts, good but a bit overcooked for my taste, as well as some cabbage. Some (too soft!) menma with a very strong taste.

Side-dish: As I said, I also got a small bowl of rice, a good way to finish your sauce/soup.

I have mixed feelings about this bowl. The soup was really good, but the whole combination not really optimal, and the ramendb ranking seems a bit overrated to me. Maybe I’m not a big fan of miso ramen after all (I always find something I don’t like). But anyway, it was overall a good ramen, and you should not miss it if you love miso ramen. Note that the whole thing, mixed with the bean sprout and the thick soup, was quite difficult to slurp (especially if you don’t want to stain your nice suit), and very voluminous - come here hungry!

More info on ramendb.

Other reviews: Tokyobelly, Enjoyramen, Ramentokyo, Ryusuke

No comments:

Post a Comment