Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sou (Hyogo-ken, Nishinomiya-shi)

ラーメン荘 これが好きだから
らーめんそう これがすきだから

Jiro ramen (yasai mashi, ninniku mashi): 16 / 20

5 minutes away from JR Nishinomiya station, this restaurant specializes in jiro ramen. This evening again, I was not meeting anyone, so I figured out it was a good occasion for a jiro ramen and its traditional garlic pile. I don’t know so much about jiro ramen, although I loved the few I have tried, so what I can say about it must be taken with a grain of salt. I ordered the ramen with a small portion of meat (that was already a lot), and a small portion of noodles (given all the toppings, 200g noodles were far enough); but in case you haven't eaten in a week, you can get for the same price the regular portion (300g noodles), or the big one (400g) - just attach a color peg to your plastic ticket to indicate the desired size. I ordered my ramen with all toppings: yasai (vegetables), ninniku (garlic), abura (fat), karame (‘spicyness’), with an extra order of vegetables (yasai mashi) and garlic (ninniku mashi), making the whole thing a tiny little bit less unhealthy.

 

Broth: The usual fat tonkotsu-shoyu broth that you get in jiro ramen shops. It was good, but it is definitely not advisable to finish it (and no one does, as far as I can see), given all the suspended fat inside it.

Noodles: Firm, large noodles characteristic of jiro, slightly curly. Very good.

Meat: A few tasty, roughly cut slices of pork, some quite lean, some fatter.

Toppings: A huge pile of soy sprouts and cabbage (‘mashi’, remember?), sprinkled by a generous amount of garlic (I could have gone ‘mashi mashi’ here...)

I think this was only the fifth jiro ramen I ever had, but I found it quite good, although I was slightly more impressed by Dokamori Maccho in Sannomiya one week earlier - especially by its noodles and  broth. But both are very recommended if you enjoy or want to discover jiro ramen. The waiter was extremely watchful and friendly, congratulating me at the end for finishing everything in my bowl but the remaining fatty juice.

More information on ramendb.

No comments:

Post a Comment