Monday, June 16, 2014

Hakata ramen center (Tokyo, Chiyoda-ku)

博多ラーメンセンター
はかたらーめんせんたー 

Tonkotsu special ramen (特製ラーメン): 14 / 20

After having looked for some of the best shio ramen in Tokyo during my last short stay, I was now chasing tonkotsu. Quite far from Kyushu, Tokyo is not especially famous for its tonkotsu ramen, and it seems that you won’t find as many wonders here as you would for gyokai tonkotsu tsukemen or niboshi ramen. Anyway, I went to the (at the time) 7th most highly ranked tonkotsu restaurant of the capital city on ramendb, conveniently located near the pleasant area of Iidabashi.


Broth: Quite assari tonkotsu, more liquid than the one I tried the day before at Tamagatta. A hint of after-taste infused it with some street-character - closing my eyes, I could imagine myself at a yatai in Fukuoka. Quite good broth overall.

Noodles: Too soft - surprisingly, they didn’t ask me how I wanted my noodles cooked (admittedly, this was partly my fault, as I also forgot to tell)

Egg: A reasonably good ajitama, the white part has a strong taste, but the yolk was slightly overcooked. Very decent though.

Meat: Two thin slices of unremarkable, thin chashu.

Toppings: A sheet of nori, some negi, some kikurage (without any real taste, and quite elastic). Of course, you can help yourself of some greens, ginger and - good point! - fresh garlic.

This was a good ramen, but not an exceptional one - I would say that its rating on ramendb is slightly overestimated.

More information on ramendb.
The website of the restaurant.
Other reviews: Tokyo corners, Iitokorone

No comments:

Post a Comment