Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sodaisho (Osaka-shi, Kita-ku)

総大醤
そうだいしょう
Sodaishou

Koikuchi shoyu ramen: 16  / 20
(こいくち醤油ラーメン)

Kurodaisho: 15 / 20
(黒大醤)

It had been some time already that I wanted to eat at this very popular ramen joint, but the queue always convinced me to go somewhere else. On this Saturday at 1 pm, though, it was short enough so that I could give it a try. They specialize in a shoyu ramen that they prepare in two versions, as well as a shio ramen, and both a shio and shoyu tsukemen. I was with a friend so it was a perfect occasion to compare the two versions of the shoyu bowl: my friend ordered the Kurodaisho (the signature bowl), and I ordered the Koikuchi (more concentrated in taste). Let's start with the latter.

 

Broth: A deep shoyu taste (although not as deep as in the recent Takaida-kei I tried), just deep enough for what I like – there was also some hints of yuzu which you can, as I discovered later, order in a larger quantity.

Noodles: Slightly fat, firm and good.

Meat: Two large, very thin slices of chashu with some alternance of fat and lean parts. OK, but nothing to call home about.

Toppings: Some small, very thin, crunchy menma with an intense taste – they were good, especially when eaten mixed with the noodles, providing a crunchy and tasty twist to the whole thing. A slice of kamaboko.


The Kurodaisho of my friend was good too, but with a thinner taste, less fishy, and without the hint of yuzu – I slightly preferred mine. Overall, that’s a good place for a classical shoyu experience, although the long queue made me expect something slightly more exceptional.

More info on ramendb.

Other reviews: Friends in Ramen, Osaka Insider.

No comments:

Post a Comment