Monday, April 20, 2015

Menya Susuru Ni (Tokyo-to, Meguro-ku)

麺や すする 弐
めんや すする に
Meny Susuru Ni

Abura soba: 15 / 20

This low-key restaurant was conveniently located for me and had abura soba on the menu - which I was in the mood to try more, after trying the solid Abura Gumi the day before. As I arrived there, I discovered that this was not the speciality of the shop, which prides itself for its very spicy ramen and tsukemen. Whatever: abura soba I wanted, abura soba I ordered.


Noodles: Firm and a bit thicker than at Abura Gumi, very good!

Meat: A slice of lean and braised meat, quite good.

Toppings: A raw egg. Some white and green negi. Some hot bean sprout sprinkled by bonito flakes. Some thin slabs of menma, sweetish and mild (they did not have the typical taste of preserved bamboo), quite good I must say. Some dried ramen noodles, like at Junk Garage.


This experience was quite interesting: although basically all ingredients were better individually than at Abura Gumi (especially the noodles!), after mixing everything, I obtained a nice but not so remarkable mix - some ingredients (like the dry ramen) became just undetectable. However, adding the vinegar, some pepper, and especially the spicy home mix, made it much more enjoyable. Interestingly, this seems to be quite low in salt. The whole thing had a less carbonara feel than the day before, and more Asian notes thanks to the spicy mix. Towards the end, the taste of bonito became more concentrated. A good option to try abura soba if you are in the area.

More info on ramendb.

No comments:

Post a Comment